The first concrete step toward the formation of an organization to help the wounded and disabled veteran came on Christmas Day, 1919, at a gathering of disabled veterans hosted by Judge Robert Marx, himself a seriously disabled and much decorated veteran of World War I. A few months later, Judge Marx called a meeting of more than 200 vocational trainees at the Ohio Mechanics Institute in Cincinnati. This actually was the beginning of the DAV. The first national convention of the DAV was held in Detroit in July 1921. In 1922 the necessity for an auxiliary to be composed of the wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters of wars disabled and the gold star relatives of those who had given their lives in defense of their country, was recognized by the DAV leaders. These leaders fully realized that only those women closely associated with, and vitally interested in, the disabled’s problems would be in a position to help them and continue to devote their time and efforts to this service as long as the need demanded. At the San Francisco National Convention in 1922, plans were perfected for the formation of the Women’s Auxiliary, Disabled American Veterans of the World War, now known officially as the Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary and Mrs. John Paul Jones was chosen as the first national commander of the auxiliary. This organization, founded on a single impulse of an unselfish desire to render service to the disabled veterans and their dependents, to make every effort possible to rehabilitate them, to alleviate the sufferings of those who would never be able to take their place in the normal walks of life again and to provide for their families, spread rapidly throughout the country. The first regular national convention of the auxiliary was held in Minneapolis, in June1923. A permanent organization was then established. A national constitution and bylaws was adopted, and Mrs. Robert Renton of Walla Walla, Washington, was elected as the National Commander. By 1924 there were 20 active units, now there are more than 1,000. In 1932, the National Department of the DAV called upon the auxiliary units throughout the United States to make voluntary contributions to the DAV Service Officer Program beginning with $415.00 in 1932 and through the auxiliary membership the fund grew to $9,652.00 in one year. In 1953 the parent organization agreed that this rehabilitation fund program be discontinued and be replaced by an expansion program for auxiliary growth. Other programs of the Auxiliary have been added and have grown due to the need and the times. Annually, more than a million hours of Non-VA and VAVS hospital work are reported by the units throughout the country. More projects that have grown from small beginnings are in the areas of Americanism, Community Service, Freedoms Foundation, Junior Activities and of course our VAVS program with the various sub-programs under its umbrella. The reason for the existence of the Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary is service. This is clearly stated within our Constitution under “Purpose.”  Taken from the DAV Auxiliary Manual